Promotional Bulletins, Senior Projects Presentations, Engineers Week. PMC Engineering Centennial Award Medal. Photographs of engineering classrooms from School of Engineering. Brochures from Ethics and Technology Lecture Series co-sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering 1992 and 1993.
Photographs were donated in 2001.
Engineering Summer Camp.
Summary of history of the Engineering Curriculum from 1856 to 1867 describing first beginnings of a true engineering curriculum and the first true engineering graduates. Material taken from Course Catalogs of the period.
Issue of Widener Magazine devoted to the Engineering Program. Article was written in honor of the 150th Anniversary of the School of Engineering.
Program from the 150th Anniversary of the School of Engineering in the fall of 2012.
CD of images related to the history of the Engineering program.
The following are important dates in the history of the engineering program at Pennsylvania Military College and Widener:
Pennsylvania Military Academy (1862 - 1892):
1865 Scientific Curriculum at Pennsylvania Military College was given an engineering direction for the first time.
1867 First class of three engineers graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Civil Engineering.
1868 Pennsylvania Military College began offering the degree of Civil Engineer, with more mathematics and scientific studies required than had been previously for the B.S. in Civil Engineering.
Pennsylvania Military College (1892 - 1966):
1934 Degree returned to being a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering.
1947 Pennsylvania Military College was divided into two divisions, the College Division and the Engineering Division
PMC Colleges (1966 - 1972):
1966 Masters of Engineering Program started. The first two graduates received a Master of Engineering Degree in Systems Engineering.
1966 Undergraduate program in Engineering accredited by the Engineering Council for Professional Development.
1967 The Engineering Division was renamed the School of Engineering
1967 The graduate program in Engineering received approval by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Public Instruction.
Widener College (1972 - 1979):
1972 The School of Engineering was renamed the Center of Engineering
Widener University (1979 - present):
1982 The Center of Engineering was renamed the School of Engineering
The above material was taken from Dr. Clarence Moll's thesis "A History of Pennsylvania Military College, 1821 - 1954" and from institutional Course Catalogs.
Drawings about engineering from 1902 yearbook.