Photographs of the Engineering Program at Widener College. Science and Engineering Seminar 1975, Women's Science and Engineering Seminar 1974 - 1976, Management and Engineering Co-op 1975- 1976, National Engineers Week 1975.
CDs of pictures of the history of the Engineering Program. Includes Kirbride receiving the Engineering Medal in 1970, Engineering Drawing Plates, and picture of Doolittle when he visited campus. Also includes various other photographs.
History / Biographical
The following are important dates in the history of the engineering program at Pennsylvania Military College and Widener:
Pennsylvania Military Academy (1862 - 1892):
1865 Scientific Curriculum at PMC was given an engineering direction for the first time.
1867 First class of three engineers graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Civil Engineering.
1868 PMC began offering the degree of Civil Engineer, with more mathematics and scientific studies required than had been previously for the B.S. in Civil Engineering.
Pennsylvania Military College (1892 - 1966):
1934 Degree returned to being a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering.
1947 PMC was divided into two divisions, the College Division and the Engineering Division
PMC Colleges (1966 - 1972):
1966 Masters of Engineering Program started. The first two graduates received a Master of Engineering Degree in Systems Engineering.
1966 Undergraduate program in Engineering accredited by the Engineering Council for Professional Development.
1967 The Engineering Division was renamed the School of Engineering
1967 The graduate program in Engineering received approval by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Public Instruction.
Widener College (1972 - 1979):
1972 The School of Engineering was renamed the Center of Engineering
Widener University (1979 - present):
1982 The Center of Engineering was renamed the School of Engineering
The above material was taken from Dr. Clarence Moll's thesis "A History of Pennsylvania Military College, 1821 - 1954" and from institutional Course Catalogs.