This box includes materials related to his involvement in the Bikini Atoll A-Bomb Testing in 1946. (Note: Bikini Atoll is sometimes incorrectly referred to as Bikini Island.)
Materials in this box include:
1. A folder containing information about "Operation Crossroads" and "Bikini Atoll."
2. Correspondence from Dr. Kirkbride to his wife
3. A letter to Dr. Kirkbride from W.H.P. Blandy, Vice Admiral of the U.S. Navy
4. Newspaper clippings about the atomic blast
5. A written account by Dr. Kirkbride about the atomic testing entitled "Operation Crossroads."
6. Itemized descriptions of seventy-one photographs
7. A book entitled "Panamint Parade of the Bikini Bums," which includes photographs of the tests, and photographs and biographical information about the observers
8. "The Light and the Dark" by C.P. Snow Letter from author to Kirkbride originally mounted inside book. NOTE: book removed due to mold.
History / Biographical
Dr. Chalmer Kirkbride was a member of the Board of Trustees.